Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Special Piece for a Special Person

I'm working on a piece in honor of a special friend, Jim Steinbach, who died last week. The old saying that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone is somewhat true in Jim's case. We always appreciated so many things about him, knew he was a very special person. However, somehow when you lose someone it all gets pulled together and you see the person as a whole rather than splinters. It was amazing how all the people at the various services and get-togethers all had pretty much the same picture of Jim. Says a lot for his consistency.

Some of my pieces take days, some take weeks, some I roll out in an hour (not counting the drying, firing, glazing and re-firing times ;-). This one is still rolling around in my mind. I'm still not settled on his entire essense so it's hard to form a shape in my mind. I think probably I'll end up staring at a block of clay someday soon, thinking about him and how much he has meant to Greg & I. I'm thinking this is going to be one of my longer productions as there was nothing simple about Jim other than his single-mindedness when he tackled a project! Guess I better block out some time if I'm going to pursue this with that same dogged spirit...

All I really know about this piece is that it better be perfection at its finest! Like all of us, Jim wasn't perfect, but he knew what perfection looked like and he strove to do it right. I'll strive to make something that will honor his memory in some form and I'll shoot for perfection.

I don't know that I'll want to give it to anyone as it will be my own personal memorial for Jim. I do think though that I just might have to make it a trio of pieces - one for his wife, Ellen, and one for Fayette Senior Services. Oops, I bet his church, St. Matthews might want one, too. Hmmm... I am assuming a lot in thinking that they'll all like my work! Maybe I'll just stick with a piece that Greg & I can look at!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, much appreciate comments and readership! Wanted to let you know that we will not post any comments with links, just makes our lives easier and safer. Likewise, if you're not nice (as in family friendly), no one will ever see the comments.